Passport & Visas


You must have a passport in order to travel abroad. To obtain a passport, the process typically takes 4-6 weeks in most countries. Begin at the website of the consular affairs department of your country of citizenship:

Already have a passport? Make sure that it is valid for at least six months beyond your date of entry into the host country. For example, if you land in the host country with a passport expiring two months, the immigration officer may refuse to allow you entry into the country.


A visa is a document issued by the host country, giving you permission to enter their country. The visa is issued and placed inside your passport by a consular official of the country. Your visa will indicate details like the type of visa (e.g. “volunteering”), date of expiration, and number of entries allowed (single / multiple). Example: If you’re an American going to Ghana, you obtain the visa from the Ghana Embassy in Washington DC.

Do you need a visa?

It depends on the host country — they make their own rules. See “Visa Rules per Host Country” below.

How to Obtain a Visa

Find out your host country’s visa rules by visiting their embassy’s website in your home country. The website will have the visa requirements, application instructions, forms, fees, and processing times. See website links below per host country.

Visa Rules per Host Country

You must have a visa. You will need to obtain your visa before leaving home from a Ghanaian embassy or consulate in your own country. Obtain a “business” visa, for which you will need a confirmation letter from Cosmic Volunteers. Click for Embassy.

You do NOT need a visa for stays of less than 90 days. Click for Embassy.

You must have a visa. You will need to obtain your visa before leaving home. NOTE: India’s Immigration Department outsources the visa process to private companies — these companies are the only entities that can issue you a visa for India. If you are in the U.S. you must obtain your visa from Cox & Kings Global Services. In Canada the company is BLS International. The type of visa you need is an “Employment Visa for India” (not a Tourist Visa or Missionary Visa).

You must have a visa. You can obtain the visa upon arrival at the airport in Nairobi OR you can obtain your visa before leaving home from a Kenyan embassy or consulate in your own country. Click for Embassy.

You must have a Vietnam visa. You can obtain the visa either upon arrival in Vietnam or from a Vietnamese embassy. Click for Embassy.