Lost or Stolen Passport Abroad

If your passport is lost or stolen abroad, our staff in the host country will assist you with obtaining a replacement passport from the local U.S. Embassy / Consulate.

Here is a list of documents / items you will need:

• Passport Photo
• ID (driver’s license or copy of missing passport)
• Evidence of U.S. citizenship (birth certificate or copy of missing passport)
• Travel Itinerary (airline tickets)
• Police Report (if applicable / available)
Form S-11 Application for Passport
Form DS-64 Statement Regarding a Lost or Stolen Passport

The U.S. Embassies / Consulates abroad typically process replacement passport only Monday-Friday during business hours. However they all have 24 hour emergency service, if for example your departure flight from the host country is within 24-48 hours.

From the State Dept website:

If your passport is lost or stolen while you are abroad, contact or visit the local U.S. embassy or consulate immediately and ask the American Citizens Services (ACS) unit to report the loss/theft.

The consular officer there may have you fill out an affidavit or a sworn statement to state the circumstances under which you lost the passport or under which it was stolen.

Remember, embassy officials are there to help you. Telling the truth is always your best course of action – you don’t want to have any difficulties getting a new passport to get home.

Your identity and citizenship will need to be confirmed by the officer through a personal interview. The officer will then have you complete an application for a replacement passport to get you home safely.

Usual application fees do apply if you have to replace your passport. However, if your money has also been stolen, we can help you contact friends or family to replenish your funds.

Replacement passports are normally valid for a full ten years for adults or five years for minors. The normal passport fees are collected from applicants for replacement passports.

Click for website of U.S. State Department for Lost or Stolen Passports.