All travelers must have a visa for China.
You must obtain the China visa before you arrive in China from a Chinese consulate or embassy in the country where you currently reside.
Visa forms and instructions can be found at the Chinese Embassy in New York.
Items to Submit with Your Chinese Visa Application
- Your Passport (valid for at least 1 month more than the visa date)
- Visa application form (Form V.2013)
- An invitation letter issued by our partner organization in China
- Photocopy of previous Chinese visas
- One (1) Recent Passport Photograph
- Visa Fee (cash, postal order or bankers draft only)
- Self addressed, pre-paid envelope
Obtain a Chinese Visa Before Arrival in China
You can apply either 1) in-person, 2) by post, or 3) via a travel agent.
Apply for the Chinese visa three (3) weeks before you leave for Chinese.
Obtain the “L” tourist visa for Chinese.
Indicate “single-entry” visa on the form.
Submit your actual passport (not a photocopy) even when applying by post.
If applying by post, use a service that has tracking numbers like FedEx.
The Chinese embassy will return your passport to you by post using the self-address, postage-paid envelope you included in your visa submission. The Chinese visa sticker will be inside your passport.