Volunteer at a children’s rehabilitation center in Vietnam. This residential centre provides healthcare, rehabilitation and education for children with Epilepsy, Cerebral Palsy and Down Syndrome. Due to cultural stigma, many of the children were abandoned by their families either at the hospital or left on the streets. There is a chronic shortage of staff to take care of the children who have very special needs. Typically there are only a few staff taking care of up to 40 children.
Volunteers help with practical things like cooking and serving meals, children’s personal hygiene, changing clothes, using utensils, and using the toilet. Activities also include playing and talking with the children, taking them to the playground area, and overall serve as a caring and loving presence for the children. Skilled volunteers like physical therapists, nurses, and nursing and medical students can also assist with daily physiotherapy sessions to improve the children’s muscular functions and flexibility.
Overall, this type of setting can be very challenging emotionally for volunteers. But of course both the children, staff and you the volunteer will gain so much from the experience.
1. Project Length: 1- 12 weeks
2. Project Dates: Year round (except Xmas & “Tet” New Years)
3. Arrival Airport: Ho Chi Minh City (SGN)
4. Program City: Ho Chi Minh City
5. Accommodations: Hotel / Guest House
6. Meals: Taken at restaurants
7. Airlines: Air China, Cathay Pacific, Delta, Eva Air, Korean Air, Singapore Airlines, United
8. Ages: 16+ for solo travelers; < 16 with teacher/parent only
9. Language Required: English
10. Vaccinations: None required. Routine Shots, Hepatitis A, Typhoid
11. Visa: Required (click for instructions)
1. Flight arrival in Ho Chi Minh City (SGN)
2. Airport meet and greet in Ho Chi Minh City
3. Orientation and walking tour in Ho Chi Minh City
4. Volunteer work, Monday-Friday (30 hours/week)*
5. Nights and Weekends free for Excursions and Cultural Exploration
6. Guidance and 24/7 Support during placement
7. Program Wrap-Up and Certificate from Cosmic Volunteers
8. Airport Transfer for Departure Flight
Accommodations & Meals
We do not offer homestays in Vietnam. Volunteers stay at guest houses, hostels, or hotels and are responsible for all of their meals. There is a range of accommodations: $10 backpacker hostels, $20 mid-range hotels, $50+ higher-end hotels. We can assist you with choosing your accommodations before you arrive in Vietnam. For meals, volunteers eat at Vietnamese restaurants serving cheap and delicious and cheap (a hearty lunch can cost $1.50). There are also fast-food places and western pubs in our volunteer areas. Depending on your accommodations, you can also self-cater.
- One-time Program Fee of $995 regardless of length of stay
- Airport Pickup & Drop-Off in Ho Chi Minh City (SGN)
- Volunteer Placement
- 24/7 Support from local staff and US staff
- In-Country Orientation on arrival
- Pre-Departure Support
- Volunteering Handbook
- Guidance with Excursions & Shopping
- Cosmic Volunteers T-shirt
- Certificate of Participation
- An experience that will last a lifetime!
Not Included: Meals, Accommodations, Flights, Visa fees, Vaccinations, Daily Transport, Insurance, Mobile Internet, Personal Expenses (Restaurant Meals, Extra Sightseeing, Laundry etc.).
Language Lessons: Included only with the Language and Cultural Immersion Programs.