Volunteers work at a children’s charity that serves as both a homeless shelter and drop-in center for boys and male (and some female) teenagers in Ho Chi Minh City. The facility provides life essentials like food, shelter, and medical care but also education, counselling, and vocational and life skills training. Especially for those between 17–20 years old, the shelter also provides abuse prevention training, health care, reproductive health care, family reunions, and vocational training.
Volunteers can teach English and math, share vocational skills like carpentry, cooking sewing. For example the shelter runs a small restaurant serving Vietnamese dishes where you can assist daily. Volunteers can also go on field trips on weekends. Overall the environment is warm and loving for the children and very welcoming to volunteers. For teaching English and math classes: We provide the lesson plans and materials. However you are more than welcome to create your own. Previous teaching experience is not required.
1. Project Length: 1- 12 weeks
2. Project Dates: Year round (except Xmas & “Tet” New Years)
3. Arrival Airport: Ho Chi Minh City (SGN)
4. Program City: Ho Chi Minh City
5. Accommodations: Hotel / Guest House
6. Meals: Taken at restaurants
7. Airlines: Air China, Cathay Pacific, Delta, Eva Air, Korean Air, Singapore Airlines, United
8. Ages: 16+ for solo travelers; < 16 with teacher/parent only
9. Language Required: English
10. Vaccinations: None required. Routine Shots, Hepatitis A, Typhoid
11. Visa: Required (click for instructions)
1. Flight arrival in Ho Chi Minh City (SGN)
2. Airport meet and greet in Ho Chi Minh City
3. Orientation and walking tour in Ho Chi Minh City
4. Volunteer work, Monday-Friday (30 hours/week)*
5. Nights and Weekends free for Excursions and Cultural Exploration
6. Guidance and 24/7 Support during placement
7. Program Wrap-Up and Certificate from Cosmic Volunteers
8. Airport Transfer for Departure Flight
Accommodations & Meals
We do not offer homestays in Vietnam. Volunteers stay at guest houses, hostels, or hotels and are responsible for all of their meals. There is a range of accommodations: $10 backpacker hostels, $20 mid-range hotels, $50+ higher-end hotels. We can assist you with choosing your accommodations before you arrive in Vietnam. For meals, volunteers eat at Vietnamese restaurants serving cheap and delicious and cheap (a hearty lunch can cost $1.50). There are also fast-food places and western pubs in our volunteer areas. Depending on your accommodations, you can also self-cater.
- One-time Program Fee of $995 regardless of length of stay
- Airport Pickup & Drop-Off in Ho Chi Minh City (SGN)
- Volunteer Placement
- 24/7 Support from local staff and US staff
- In-Country Orientation on arrival
- Pre-Departure Support
- Volunteering Handbook
- Guidance with Excursions & Shopping
- Cosmic Volunteers T-shirt
- Certificate of Participation
- An experience that will last a lifetime!
Not Included: Meals, Accommodations, Flights, Visa fees, Vaccinations, Daily Transport, Insurance, Mobile Internet, Personal Expenses (Restaurant Meals, Extra Sightseeing, Laundry etc.).
Language Lessons: Included only with the Language and Cultural Immersion Programs.