Our teaching programs in Tanzania place volunteers in schools and children’s homes. With class sizes sometimes as large as 100+ students, schools welcome volunteers to assist with teaching and serving as a positive influence. Volunteers do not need to be certified teachers or have previous teaching experience. Learning some basic words and phrases in Swahili will help you a great deal in connecting with the children.
Teaching in Arusha
Volunteers are needed year-round to teach in the city of Arusha. This includes summers when a local Catholic church we work with offers classes to teenagers in math, physics, English and more. Volunteers also teach at primary schools. At the schools, volunteers serve as teaching assistants to a Tanzanian teacher. Arusha is a busy urban environment with lively nightlife.
Teaching in Simanjiro
Simanjiro is one of the most rural and remote volunteer placement we offer. Simanjiro is in the heart of Masai tribe country. As a volunteer you will teach local Masai children ages 7-16 who attend primary school. The subjects include mostly English and math. You can also coach sports especially football (soccer).
Teaching in Mwanza
Volunteers are needed teach children ages 5-12 who live at children’s homes and in the community. The subjects include English and math and any other areas you know well like art, music and dance. Classes are held twice a day with a an average class size of about 10. Volunteers also work with preschool children ages 2 to 6.
1. Project Length: 4-12 weeks
2. Project Dates: Year-Round. Choose any date to arrive.
3. Arrival Airport: Julius Nyerere International Airport (DAR)
4. Program Cities: Arusha, Simanjiro, Mwanza
5. Accommodations: Host Families
6. Meals: 3 per day Monday-Friday, 2 on Saturday, none Sunday
7. Airlines: American, Delta, Emirates, KLM, Qatar, United
8. Ages: 16+ for solo travelers; < 16 with teacher/parent only
9. Language Required: English
10. Vaccinations: None required. Routine Shots, Hepatitis A, Typhoid
11. Visa: Required / Available at airport in Tanzania
1. Flight arrival in Dar es Salaam (DAR)
2. Airport meet and greet in Dar es Salaam
3. Orientation and walking tour in Arusha / Simanjiro / Mwanza
4. Volunteer work, Monday-Friday (30 hours/week)
5. Nights and Weekends free for Excursions and Cultural Exploration
6. Guidance and 24/7 Support during placement
7. Program Wrap-Up and Certificate from Cosmic Volunteers
8. Airport Transfer for Departure Flight
- 4 Weeks: $1355
- 5 Weeks: $1480
- 6 Weeks: $1595
- 7 Weeks: $1720
- 8 Weeks: $1845
- 9 Weeks: $1965
- 10 Weeks: $2075
- 11 Weeks: $2195
- 12 Weeks: $2315
- Meals and Accommodations
- Airport Pickup & Drop-Off in Dar es Salaam (DAR)
- Volunteer Placement
- 24/7 Support from local staff and US staff
- In-Country Orientation on arrival
- Pre-Departure Support
- Volunteering Handbook
- Guidance with Excursions & Shopping
- Cosmic Volunteers T-shirt
- Certificate of Participation
- An experience that will last a lifetime!
Not Included: Flights, Visa fees, Vaccinations, Daily Transport, Insurance, Mobile Internet, Personal Expenses (Restaurant Meals, Extra Sightseeing, Laundry etc.).
Language Lessons: Included only with the Language and Cultural Immersion Programs.