Teach English at an educational community center in Xela! The Center provides quality English lessons that are not always available in Guatemalan schools. Located in Pacajá outside of Xela, the Center is a non-profit organization funded by its Spanish language school.
Morning program: Volunteers teach English or any other subject to children and provide general classroom assistance to other teachers. The Center prefers volunteers to contribute with their own subjects and lesson plans, handle the class by themselves, and rotate along the different grades during the morning.
Afternoon program: Recreational activities with children, homework help, specific reinforcement. On Tuesdays and Thursdays in the afternoons, there are also additional English lessons for local youth.
1. Project Length: 2 – 12 weeks
2. Project Dates: Year round. Choose any date to arrive (weekend preferable)
3. Arrival Airport: Guatemala City (GUA)
4. Program City: Xela
5. Accommodations: Guatemalan host family
6. Meals: 3 per day Monday-Friday, 2 on Saturday, none Sunday
7. Airlines: American, Avianca, Delta, Spirit, Taca, United
8. Ages: 18+ for solo travelers; < 18 with teacher/parent only
9. Language Required: Proficient Spanish
10. Vaccinations: None required. Routine Shots, Hepatitis A, Typhoid
11. Visa: None required for stays of less than 90 days
1. Flight arrival in Guatemala City (GUA)
2. Airport meet and greet in Guatemala City
3. Orientation and walking tour in Xela
4. Volunteer work, Monday-Friday 8AM-4PM (20-40 hours/week)*
5. Nights and Weekends free for Excursions and Cultural Exploration
6. Guidance and 24/7 Support during placement
7. Program Wrap-Up and Certificate from Cosmic Volunteers
8. Airport Transfer for Departure Flight
* Many volunteers combine this volunteer program with Spanish lessons
- 2 Weeks: 1125
- 3 Weeks: $1245
- 4 Weeks: $1355
- 5 Weeks: $1480
- 6 Weeks: $1595
- 7 Weeks: $1720
- 8 Weeks: $1845
- 9 Weeks: $1965
- 10 Weeks: $2075
- 11 Weeks: $2195
- 12 Weeks: $2315
- Meals and Accommodations
- Airport Pickup & Drop-Off in Guatemala City (GUA)
- Volunteer Placement
- 24/7 Support from local staff and US staff
- In-Country Orientation on arrival
- Pre-Departure Support
- Volunteering Handbook
- Guidance with Excursions & Shopping
- Cosmic Volunteers T-shirt
- Certificate of Participation
- An experience that will last a lifetime!
Not Included: Flights, Visa fees, Vaccinations, Daily Transport, Insurance, Mobile Internet, Personal Expenses (Restaurant Meals, Extra Sightseeing, Laundry etc.).
Language Lessons: Included only with the Language and Cultural Immersion Programs.